Forums

• As the title says. Most mages in books and movies have a staff, maybe 
    I searched in the forum and couldnt find staff or staves, but I think it would be an interesting topic of discussion.
    If a staff weapon was made for the robe classes I think it would be best if the weapon could be held and the person was to still have the ability to cast spells.
    There could be staff of intelligence, of turn undead, elemental staves, whatever imagination dictates, etc.
    These could be made in a combination of woodworking and enchanting. Maybe even have some with a crystal on top or an orb of seeing.
    Maybe even make other orbs that could give practical use to the staff. 
    Now a staff doesnt have to be a powerful weapon but it would help in melee for robes which can only use the wrestling skill (which is almost moot nowadays)
    Anyway forum readers I would be very happy if someone were to expand on this little idea. Or tell me if its terrible.
    The point of this was for discussion, so I would like to hear what the more wisend Obernites have to say.
    Thanks
    Oles

•  

• I totally agree,

The Staff is a magical weapon used by almost all Mages in Mythology (that's why mages can use it in other RPG's and MMO's).

There fore, all Mage class should be able to hold a Staff at all times and still be able to cast spells, be it regular staff or staff of Durability, Power or Speed.

The 5 second delay on weapon equip is such a nonesense, it has to be removed.

PS: I will expand on this later on, now I have to run, life is calling.

• I agree with Gwyd - quite fancy the idea of a staff topped by some sort of crystal, but no idea how practical this could be for the developers. However, this should be a special staff developed for mages, as otherwise there is the risk of being considered overpowered by other classes (despite the fact that some of our enemies have both magical and melee powers^^).

I agree as well that a 5 second delay before your weapon can strike is too long. I think 2 seconds are sufficient to mimic the gesture of unsheathing a weapon/brandishing a bow. It is especially bad for clerics if they are obliged to defend themselves from attacks, also in view of the dreadful mana drain factor.

• I think it would be fun if we could equip a magical stave such as a bone mage or hell mage stave. The BM stave could add +1 magery level but be heavy to carry. A hell mage stave would amplify magic cast on and by the user, it would add +3 to magery but -3 from RM. Magical staves cannot be used as physical weapons however they still allow the user to cast magic.

• Speaking of Mages in Mythology, Staves are not only magical, but also mele weapons (limited use and power of course).

A mage would not and should not hesitate using his or her stave to hit a beast if it can get him or her out of a tight spot (buy some time, mana regeneration or life saver).

All staves present in game should keep there present attributes, be it regular Staff, GM Staff, Staff of Durability, Speed or Power, this would make it possible for the developers, simply add the Druid, Clerics and Wizard to the present Staff/Weapon algorithm.

Stave of Power are a rare item, so with in a short time, most mage would be using GM staves, or Staves or Dura, it's not like these weapon can take down a stone Golem with a few hits.

Removing the 5 second delay on weapon equip requires a change in the algorithm. Lag if nothing else is a good enough reason to remove that delay. If lag does not work, try freezing, crashes, very few players in game etc... that delay is total nonsense, it does not exist in Mythology, in real life situations or in any other game I played.

Before anyone starts yelling "the mage are now over powered", consider this, no wizard in there right mind will go running after a Black Bear or Forest Dragon and start a fight using a GM Staff.

Then again, unless that mage consumed an abundant amount of Marali Whisky.

Edit: an Algorithm is a step-by-step procedure for calculations.
    In layman's terms, it's a formula, a set of instructions to accomplish the end goal.

• All Mage class should be able to hold a Staff at all times and still be able to cast spells, be it regular staff or staff of Durability, Power or Speed.

The 5 second delay on weapon equip is such a nonesense, it has to be removed.

Gwyddeon

I agree as well that a 5 second delay before your weapon can strike is too long. I think 2 seconds are sufficient to mimic the gesture of unsheathing a weapon/brandishing a bow. It is especially bad for clerics if they are obliged to defend themselves from attacks, also in view of the dreadful mana drain factor.

Fuoco
    Bump and reminder.

This should be implemented in the new changes, including the 2 second delay as Foo mentions for weapon equip, on all classes.

• We think this a good thing... tho the staff should only last something like a ring.... with a number of charges or stored magical energy. (not many, as that WOULD be overpowering) the Magi must consider each use... the staff should b crafted from special wood (mayb very rare finds from old Braken) and other very rare materials (hints given by NPCs or a series of clues, like Sayen's hunts, but given over a time period, not all at once) Make it difficult for even high level player to obtain and hoard these materials... the materials lose their essence/magic quickly... or destroy/pollute/drain power/energy of other items they are stored with... take up many slots to store(not just single slot).
    Have different parts crafted by different Classes...
    the crystal/gem (colors used for different powers)enchanted by Wiz...
    the Staff, carefully crafted by a Druid...
    assembled and blessed by a Cleric...
    make them as rare as true Peace... as desirable as earthly pleasures...

but these rare beauties are entities/ spirits unto themselves... forbid they be used as physical damage weapons... oh no!!!
    They might be used in physical defense to save one's life, but they are pure magic other wise !

• A simplest solution for a Mage Stave, the Bone Mage Stave +10

Now who has not asked at one time or another, if the Bone Mage Stave could be equipped? humm! I don't know of any one, we all did. This would fit very well in the story lines, it's been around for a long time and it's a unique item. It could also be use in write ups/IC Stories.

It's already has it's own ID number and graphics.

DPS: give it the same specifications as the Club of Power or SoP in speed and DPS (cut and copy Algorithm).

Use: All Mage should be able to equip it while retaining the full ability to cast spells, while also granting the ability to use potion and Meditate while the Stave is equipped, since it's a one hand stave, the other hand is free to use Potions and meditate.

Graphics: match the same graphics as when the BM has it equipped and casts spells or summons his Skeleton helpers. The Stave is to be held in one hand, and when stricken on the ground (casting spells) it shakes the earth and relases it's magical powers.

Drop rate: make the same as the Holy Dagger, in turn adjust the current BM Stave quest Quantity from 20 down to a lower number (or find another item to replace the current BM Stave Quest line).

For future consideration and development,

Quest: Brigobahen
    Item Given: Bone Mage Stave (dropped item, can not be equipped or used)
    Reward: Bone Mage Stave +10 (usable item)

Story line: The Bone Mage Stave is a rare item that can only be obtained by defeating the Bone Mage in battle, in order to be able to use this Stave you must complete a Quest, the new acquired Bone Mage Stave must be taken to Brigobahen in order to have the Priests bless the Stave and released of it's dark powers. making it then usable by a mage of pure hearth.

Enchanting could also be used to add additional powers to the Bone Mage stave, I would suggest Intelligence, or the same as what is currently used on the Wizard hat.

• Great Idea Gwydders and well rounded out.

Moderator(s): arikitest