Forums

• Because the playerbase is smaller these days many parts of Oberin are rarely explored due to not having enough high level players. This limits the areas where small groups can hunt. In order to combat this, and to make certain classes more interesting to play I propose the following:

Druids:
    Can now tame forest COs

Fighters:
    Anytime a fighter is wearing a shield GDS/LDS is active. GDS/LDS stance is not broken by moving or by using other specials, and does not cost any stam. In addition, fighters now restore stamina in combat like rogues. This is to allow fighters to have a more dynamic style of play through using their specials more.

Wizard:
    Reduce mana requirements on spells to allow wizards to cast more often to speed up playstyle. Spells can now be a critical which ignores the RM level of the creature. This will cause a damage boost to wizards on creatures with high RM.

Rangers:
    Increase RM cap to 7
    Create specials for arrows
    Allow rangers to tame a HH
    A hellhound without a healing spell will not be powerful but will help rangers against magical creatures when they are diso. It seems natural for a ranger to hunt with a hound. (would need a pet summon to cross water)

Rogues:
    Increase RM cap to 6
    Deci now has a para effect

Clerics:
    Increase the damage of TU
    Greater Reflective Armor
    Tame a Blink Hound
    Having a blink hound will not make clerics overpowered but will allow them to solo a bit easier and hunt magical creatures to work on RM. The BH and and the cleric both have magic resistance abilities so it makes sense they would team up for a beneficial partnership. (would need a pet summon to cross water)

• Certainly many good ideas, but I think the under-construction update will hopefully bring more people into/back to the game and rectify at least some of the drawbacks we have for so long in this game.

I also agree with you, that the current specials, mana costs, spells etc. etc. are certainly outdated, not streamlined and in need for a tune-up, when compared to more modern games. Or why does an aility potion cost 12 MP to mix, compared to a strength potion with 9, when both serve a very similar purpose? Simply not streamlined, but a not explainable non-system decision in the original design (it´s also called lack of development).

On the other hand I believe Obie was not meant as a total powermonger game where you deal bazillions of damage points to foes (an aspect I always admired about Obie and UO). So any change there might speed up levelling, but certainly puts more strain on the GM´s, when they spawn beasts during RTQ´s.

Always remember: When characters receive something, then the enemies should receive something also. Otherwise the favour swings towards one side. Am I against a constant GDS/LDS without mana costs? Hell no! Automatic successes are certainly welcomed. Would I mind a wizard throwing LB´s like popcorn in cinema? Let it happen. And the same certainly is true for the other classes too.

But what would be the consequence? For sure all of us hate to grind and grind and grind, be it in crafting or hunting, so therefore it has to be improved. Would your suggestions speed up levelling? Yes, and that´s probably your intention, which nobody of us would contradict or reject. Or who remembers the last time he heard the glorious trumpets sigballing a new level? I certainly don´t. Ttherefore a faster/more effective levelling is certainly something welcomed by everybody. And yes I wholeheartedly agree, that the current gameplay is sometimes slow, dragging and unnerving at higher levels. The game can turn into work sometimes and the joyfactor is lost therefore. And that´s why many peeps start playing and then stop. Obie is a matter of love or hate it. Nothing in between IMO.

So any drastic improvements/changes like the ones you suggest, though meant for a small audience, might prove fatal, when a broader audience/participation like the current one is achieved. And a temporary change will cause only trouble after the normal level of abilities is set back up.

But I have real faith in the new dev team, since they seem to be willing to invest a lot of time and effort into changing Obie to a true MMO like it was when I started. So to all of you folks, who are still playing the game and not just lurking in the shadows of the forum and then exchange their bitterness and "I know the solution to the problems" (called Klugscheisserei in my language) on other channels:

Have faith in the folks who run the show and keep playing the game to show them,that we, the players also care for Obie.

Ich habe fertig

• There is a huge portion of the Oberin map that players are unable to access because it is too difficult. Places like the Marali dungeon which has never been fully cleared. The last two tower hunts I went on wiped as well, and I don't think there has been a visit to skull to see if the black rose quest changed since the update months ago.

Even if we do get a new client, which I hope we do, it won't solve all the player problems. 2007 was around the peak of Oberin and players leaving had nothing to do with the client.

While I appreciate all the work that has gone into Oberin. Certain classes have needed work for years (rangers, wizards, and clerics imo). For example I have played since 2007 and there have been no changes to the cleric class during that time. Currently the game is balanced towards fighters/clerics with all other classes just being 'extra' in higher level play. It is because Oberin doesn't really have a damage class, just healer/tank. 

One thing that keeps players away is being pressured to play a certain character. I know several high level clerics who no longer play because this reason.

In summary either certain dungeons need to be toned down or players will have to be beefed up to rely less on others and the fighter/cleric duo. Stronger players won't make it any harder for GMs to do RTQs because they will just spawn stronger creatures. 

• There is a huge portion of the Oberin map that players are unable to access because it is too difficult. Places like the Marali dungeon which has never been fully cleared. The last two tower hunts I went on wiped as well, and I don't think there has been a visit to skull to see if the black rose quest changed since the update months ago.

Even if we do get a new client, which I hope we do, it won't solve all the player problems. 2007 was around the peak of Oberin and players leaving had nothing to do with the client.

While I appreciate all the work that has gone into Oberin. Certain classes have needed work for years (rangers, wizards, and clerics imo). For example I have played since 2007 and there have been no changes to the cleric class during that time. Currently the game is balanced towards fighters/clerics with all other classes just being 'extra' in higher level play. It is because Oberin doesn't really have a damage class, just healer/tank.

One thing that keeps players away is being pressured to play a certain character. I know several high level clerics who no longer play because this reason.

In summary either certain dungeons need to be toned down or players will have to be beefed up to rely less on others and the fighter/cleric duo. Stronger players won't make it any harder for GMs to do RTQs because they will just spawn stronger creatures.

Buckner

Some parts of this I agree with; others I don't really. I think that back in '09 and '10 when players really begun to leave in droves, there were certain issues regarding an ever-staling game that suffered from the issue of having too little GM - player interaction (and probably a few issues in both player-bases that don't really warrant going into right now). Players begun to leave - but Obie has its own special charms and many people came back eventually... only to find that the client itself was at the point where you needed this silly old thing called 'sheepshaver' to play it. In most cases, Sheepshaver added unnecessary lag to a game that already had a few issues with it and thus made it very hard to play, which turned off many veteran players from the game they had once loved. So while I agree the client going out of date wasn't what made people leave, I think it had a major part in ensuring both new players wouldn't join the game and old players wouldn't return.

Oberin's mechanics have issues. No-one's afraid to admit this, granted. Exponential successes to level (if we wanted emphasis on low levels and the whole "the highest level in our game is only 17", there are better ways to create such a system. The system must be slightly easier at the very least, and way more benefits need to be conferred at each level so the player feels his/her work is being justly rewarded), class issues in particular areas and less rewards/focus on higher levels, their challenges and rewards (so like, what benefits do you get at level 14 magery/cleric? And what do you go out for other than Dragons, Golems and Liches past level 12/13?). But with all this, we now have a rather dedicated dev and GM team that are working on fixing many of these issues. We shouldn't advertise Oberin by calling out to everyone and saying "Hey look, our skills are super buffed! Now's the time to come and play!" Rather, we should advertise Oberin by telling people that many of our mechanics are under scrutiny by both the GMs and the community, working together to ensure a more balanced game. That eliminates the need to take away all the buffs of each player class when people actually DO come back to the game.

And on that note, people need to stop treating Oberin like it's dying. That frustrates me quite a bit. Right now, we are so close, we are on the verge of being able to rejuvinate a game we all love and know is one of the most unique and special games on the planet. We are so close, and we need everyone to believe. The more we can do that,. the more chance Oberin won't tire out right before the finish line, the more chance people will stop and be like "hey I remember that game! It's still going? Maybe I should see what's happening!" The more chance we can get people like my brother Lei and plenty of other vets back into the game. I'm not necessarily saying that you're making it out like Obie is on its last legs so much as i'm saying that we shouldn't be trying to find temporary solutions to a game that will need to fix them when it does come back to the fore, or else the ideas look like they're just last hurrahs.

But I digress. In answer to your point, I think the mistake we're making here is that players are nerfed and need to be buffed. I think that's too much of a generalisation and will just lead to inflated versions of the same issues. What we need to do is think about what we want each class to be or rather, what weaknesses lie in the classes and allow more people to branch out and fill more roles with each class. I think the druid class is an awesome example of what i'm thinking. Druids used to have the issue of being incredible the incredible solo class in a game where solo-ing wasn't encouraged. They suffered heavily in groups and in dungeons until level 9 when they got a tusker and even then they were very limited in their role, and only optional. Regardless, they were overpowered in the wild, but no druid really wanted this and preferred the more common dungeon delves. So what the GMs did was give druids the bears, which allowed druids the same solo capabilities whilst allowing them to fill more roles in the dungeon. The bear was the perfect mix of damage and tankiness, giving the druids a hybrid option to allow them to fulfill a more solid role in the dungeon and come to par with wizards whilst allowing them some share in the tank role through their pet. Druids were further buffed to this end with the new magery spells that allowed the shapeshifting into Dracos, which meant druids could then join their pet and be an extra tank when there was nothing to be crowd control for. As a result, I personally druids are very, VERY close to where they need to be generally in the game. Taming needs a few more higher level creatures as an incentive to level it and alchemy needs more varied potions, and then I think druids are pretty much done for the time being.

If we look at the roles of each class and where they fall down, it becomes easier to think of precise and valid solutions to fix their issues. perhaps druids DO need Dracos, I don't really know. But we need to make sure when we're buffing classes that it adds to them in some way rather than just making them marginally more fun to play for a little while before once again turning to their weaknesses and saying, "gee, I really wish they'd allow us to do THIS instead."

So for some of these changes, I would say they're very appropriate. I think clerics should have a better TU or something to allow them to feel like they're crucial damage dealers in particular areas because I believe that's something the cleric class would benefit from and make them more fun to play as. I also think mana for many spells needs to be tweaked (not sure about a general lessening of mana cost but definitely tweaking for some spells). Other changes I think don't fix the problem those classes have and wouldn't really add anything except "oh look a buff! I'm still useless in groups though."

But yeah, that's my thought process atm. Lei and I are considering a future in game design and mechanics are something we have a bit of experience with as competitive gamers. We have a lot of experience with MMOs, so if the GMs are interested I think we might brainstorm and post something ourselves as well to verify what we're talking about. tongue

But I like your thought processes Varto, and i'd like to brainstorm stuff with you at some point as well. cheesey

• You bring up a lot of good points. I do think the druid updates have been amazing for druids and should be used as an example for other classes. However, one thing I think is needed is a couple more level 9 pets for example a stronger hound (dire wolf) and spider (black widow). The cool thing about the level 8 pets is that they were all great pets in their own ways, and druids used different pets. I would also like to see some of the spell requirements lowered so it isn't only 2-3 players who are able to enjoy some of the funnest features in the game.

What needs to be tweaked the most in my opion is the over-reliance on clerics and fighters. A cleric should be a nice addition to a group but people should be able to hunt more places without one. Clerics are under a great deal of stress on hunts because if they die the hunt is over, and people lose their gear/pets etc. I do appreciate how LMRs are more common now, I use them as wipe insurance. We are healing machines and do it well, but sometimes it is nice to contribute to a group in different ways. Having two crafting primes does not help matters since that discourages clerics even more from hunting with others. 

My level 10 wizard is better at fighting the undead than my level 13 cleric. It doesn't seem right to me that Rhodes can kill a zombie in 3 zaps while it would take Varto 6 TUs to accomplish the same thing. The reason why I stated that clerics should have a blink hound is to be able to help on hunts while still healing for others. It would also allow clerics to work on RM easier (2nd most important cleric skill after medi) since we rarely get to work on RM on hunts because  we are standing in the back healing. With a BH a cleric could easily handle a bracken, gaper, BM, zombie but wouldnt be soloing a co or hill giant with a BH. I can currently kill bracken, gapers, BMs, and zombies however it takes time and the right gear. A BH would allow younger clerics to do more.

As long as there is a great need for fighters and clerics there needs to be more incentive to play one. The playerbase won't be able to grow if people aren't able to go to dungeons because there aren't enough fighters/clerics around. One of my favorite ways to hunt recently is just running around the woods because anyone can bring whatever class. That is how the rest of the game should be balanced.

My not playing recently has been mostly due to studying for the CPA exam. Hopefully I will be back around more this winter. 

• Up until around a month or so ago there was no real progress in terms of development.

Right now, however, we are working on an update, and several things "may be fine-tuned", some things that you suggested "might be added", I don't want to give spoilers wink.
    A lot of other things will be added as well. So please have some patience while we work on the current update.

It's still a lot of looking at what has the most priority. I think the problem with the suggested ideas are that they may be good for the specific class, but as a whole maybe not so much.

But for sure, some of the things that have been brought up will, and are being looked at. We're a small team, so everything takes heaps of time as it is all done in our free time.

• That makes me excited!

• Dire wolf? Great, now you got me singing the Dead wink

Interesting read though. I'll welcome any change, so this is exciting indeed.

• The dire wolf collects his due while the boys sing 'round the fire don't murder me. My dad got me into the dead lol.

• I dunno, the dire wolves in Hearthstone look really evil for some reason I just can't explain...

The reliance on clerics/healer classes is something that's really... well, convoluted, I think. In many MMOs dungeons do require healers. In fact, the standard dungeon group is 1 tank, 2 healers, 2 DPSes (most MMOs use a 5-man party system). Oberin is different, of course. However, I do wonder whether we'd benefit from a few more classes that actually mix up the roles so people don't have to feel so inclined. In a game called Ragnarok Online II, you have your full on healer class, the "priest", who had incredible single-target healing spells and only a few DPS spells (although if these DPS spells were maxed out they were terrifying!). Then you had the 'Sorcerer' who is both an incredible DPS or can be an amazing healer. You only have so many skill points, so it's hard to be both an efficient DPS and an efficient healer but you do have hybrids and i'm one of them. Sorcerers have amazing grioup healing spells and in that regard may even be better than priests. Finally you even have a new class called 'Soulmaker' which have a combination of group and single target healing spells (mostly single target but still). Soulmakers are similar to sorcerers and also have a large DPS skill tree if people desire it.

So what i'm actually thinking is, maybe we'd benefit from having a "sorcerer" class. A class that can dabble in both DPS and healing. That might be a nice midway point for some peeps.

Or maybe i'm just thinking of it all too traditionally. Oberin is definitely a different cut of cheese away from many other MMOs, after all. tongue

Moderator(s):