Forums

• To the magical community and magery council,

It had come to my attention some months ago that as of yet I had seen no one who had analysed the language which the three robe classes use habitually. Observing this, I decided to investigate on this matter and since then have come up with a few conclusions, though they can certainly be expanded on.

The magic language is very strange, and I ponder as to why I am the first person(to my knowledge) to study them in depth. I asked myself exactly what did *pur*, *ber*, *bur* and *clar* do?

Halfway through my investigations, I made a startling discovery: each different word corresponds to a different reagent!

Following, I have a list of all the magical words and what I believe them to mean:

*ber*: Found in all druid spells and a few of the other two classes, this word always uses amber. Judging by the spells in which it is found, I believe that perhaps it could mean either 'Nature' or 'Appearance'.

*pur*: *pur* makes up about half of cleric spells as well as many druid spells. Using ginseng, this word is completely absent from the wizard spellbook(That means that all you wizards can stop carrying around all that ginseng). Found in all heal spells, as well as in the shapeshift druid line, I believe this means 'Augment'. The augmentation of health, of strength, of agility, and in the case of druids, the augmentation of the body to a stronger form.

*shel*: Requires mandrake, and makes up the other half of the cleric spells, being present not in the healing spells, but in the detoxification. Wizards use it to disarm a magic trap and to paralyze, whereas druids have an ample selection, including Summon Pet, Summon Creature, Greater Summon Creature, and, what is extremely curious, TWO of the shapeshift spells, the ordinary shapeshift being exempt. I believe this to have two meanings: 'Remove', removing poison, traps, movement... and 'Call', as in the case of druids, who summon creatures or new bodies.

*bur*: The 'Damage' spell, as I like to call it. Requiring coal, it is present in the damaging spells of wizards, in the reflection cleric spells and Turn Undead. However, when this word was created, I don't believe druids got the memo: They use it in random things: Calm, Summon Pet and Opportunity. Did some ancient mage mix up the letters or something? For wizards and clerics, it almost definitely means 'Damage', whereas druids just throw it in for a kick.

*clar*: I hate this word. I hate it. It requires lotus, and is used in spells of such a wide variety that you couldn't really put a good definition to it. The best suggestion I can come up with is 'Change', as in the change of properties, although many people could come up with something else, I'm sure.

*pos*: Used in poison, clumsy and disorient spells, as well as Drain Mana, this I believe simply means 'Poison', affecting either your health or your mental capacities such as balance. Uses poison glands.

*bol*: Found in wizard spells and 1 spell each for clerics and druids, this word I believe means 'Lightning'. Weaken, paralyze, LB, Disorient, it seems to affect the nervous system or it simply pelts out a bolt of the stuff. Uses, naturally, electric eels.

*flas*: Here's the fun one. Using the un-buyable volcanic ash, this usually means 'Explosion'. Magic Trap, Explosion, Lightning Bolt, Fireball, (Night Vision could count as a minor one, right?), it's pretty clear.

*rel*: Using garlic, I think that maybe it means 'Garlic', because of the spells it is for: Paralyze and Disorient(Perhaps the smell...?), Turn Undead(garlic is quite the anti-darkness reagent), Create Food, Provocation... it seems they're based on the effects of garlic itself. If not 'Garlic', perhaps it could be called 'Stun' for wizards, 'Alter' for Druids and 'Power' for clerics.

*des*: The rarest reagent of all, dragon teeth, is needed to use *des*. Located in the most powerful of spells, I believe this word means 'All', as in either 'all the enemies', in the field spells, or 'all power'. *des* can truly be devastating.

Again I must express my astonishment that no one has done a study on this topic before, or even noticed the relationship between reagents and words. Perhaps using the observations of this study, new spells can be developed.

Yours truly,
    Ivitus the Druid.

Moderator(s): arikitest