Forums

• Should go to the stable so the master doesn't have to quit and reboot oberin to get it there. Or they should be able to command it to stable if they need to be, but no other commands would be available.

• I just found this thread, so it may be too late but I'll put my 2 cents in. When the druid is part of a hunting party there are many options; other players can feed the pet, guard the druid's body, heal the pet, etc. So my comments below mostly address what happens if the druid is alone, or with one other player who isn't a cleric.

Heel - when the druid dies, the pet follows the ghost and will not defend itself. Unless there is a temple fortuitously close, the pet is unlikely to survive the trip as the druid can not feed or heal it.

Guard/Attack - The pet will defend itself, but will also run off after creatures trying to kill them (quite pointless when the druid is a ghost) and again is unlikely to survive the trip to the temple and back as it can not be fed or healed.

Stay - If the pet stayed on or with the body while the druid ran to temple and back, it wouldn't get hungry unless attacked. But, if the druid has been killed, chances are there are creatures around who will attack the pet while the ghost is off getting resurrected. Again, its chances of survival aren't too good as it will not defend itself and even a stray snail could kill it before the druid could return.

Stable - this is the best chance of survival for the pet, but makes things a bit more difficult for the druid, as he must return to his body, get his things, and get to a town or stable without a pet. Of course, does have the option to abandon the body and whatever was on it ..

What I would suggest is changing the behavior of pets on Guard. In my humble opinion, a pet on guard should attack creatures only until they stop attacking the druid, and then either return to the guard state near the druid or attack the next creature attacking its master, if there is one. In other games I play, units have a "defend" command that causes them to follow another unit and defend it, but they will not follow a retreating opponent away from the unit they are defending. Such behavior makes more sense to me than having the pet chase after something that's nearly dead and running for its life while other nasties are trying to kill their master....

Druids would then acquire the same choice that other players have, the choice whether it is worth chasing after something to kill it for the loot, or let it go and pursue other goals. Yes, the same can be accomplished by issuing multiple commands (heel, then attack, etc.), but in the heat of battle it's a bit much sometimes trying to do everything else one needs to be doing plus constantly issue pet commands.

This would also mean that a druid who is lagged or temporarily frozen would have a much better chance of surviving the incident if the pet is on Guard, as the pet would stay near the player and automatically defend him/her from attacks. Thus, after a lag or freeze, the player would have the chance to recover from the incident without severe consequences by feeding and healing the nearby pet and him/herself instead of finding him/herself a ghost whose pet is off somewhere chasing something and s/he will likely not be able to find, summon, or heal the pet before it is lost.

Heike/Irika/Mirrim

• ... my comments below mostly address what happens if the druid is alone, or with one other player who isn't a cleric.

Guard/Attack - The pet will defend itself, but will also run off after creatures trying to kill them (quite pointless when the druid is a ghost) and again is unlikely to survive the trip to the temple and back as it can not be fed or healed.

Stable - this is the best chance of survival for the pet, but makes things a bit more difficult for the druid, as he must return to his body, get his things, and get to a town or stable without a pet. Of course, does have the option to abandon the body and whatever was on it ..

What I would suggest is changing the behavior of pets on Guard. In my humble opinion, a pet on guard should attack creatures only until they stop attacking the druid, and then either return to the guard state near the druid or attack the next creature attacking its master, if there is one. In other games I play, units have a "defend" command that causes them to follow another unit and defend it, but they will not follow a retreating opponent away from the unit they are defending. Such behavior makes more sense to me than having the pet chase after something that's nearly dead and running for its life while other nasties are trying to kill their master....

cf0d6ff356="Heike"

I would add here trying to kill the master's Pet, as well. And when a master dies, a Pet is unlikely to be able to kill All the "nasties," which will attack it, and meanwhile - while pursuing nasty kills - the resta the nasties are taking pieces out of the Pet.

Druids would then acquire the same choice that other players have, the choice whether it is worth chasing after something to kill it for the loot, or let it go and pursue other goals. Yes, the same can be accomplished by issuing multiple commands (heel, then attack, etc.), but in the heat of battle it's a bit much sometimes trying to do everything else one needs to be doing plus constantly issue pet commands.

cf0d6ff356="Heike"
    I can testify to seeing at least a third of all Pet deaths (those Not due to lag /freezing, so I suppose about 1 /4 overall as a total) caused by druids who don't-issue Pet commands, in time. It's more than just: "Heel!" as I'm referencing times when the Pet is still within-range of a Magical creature, such as a Bracken, which still seems able to cast about 6 steps away (the screen edge is 4 Up, 5 Right, 6 Left, and 7 down, so that's still potentially 3 /4 "middle-of-the-edge," cases; though don't worry, the range of this hidden casting rate is also-comprised of essentially 2-more edges per each corner: of which 8 cornered-egdes again only 3 /8 are really within-range, I think, of that such that only 6 /12's of the time - 1 /2 - now we get hit by, say, Bracken and 1-step or-so further we can still "see the whites of their [names]."). Unless a Pixie, which-too is Magical (if low in h p), few Pets other than a slow Gooey or a not-fast Blink Hound have enough Resisting Magic to survive several Lightning Bolts.

So yeah, "Move!" is a good one: assuming the Pet is still Behind the master, and therefore it'll move Further from (and back into relative-safety, in the direction at least where it came from) the, again for example Bracken. Even "Stay!" hotkeyed (most people with a druid alt. would still have up to 4 hotkeys consumed by their most-useful Pet commands, but what can I say? when we solo, we change F-keys: it's the way of the Obie) can do some of this, again in this case Only if the Pet is Behind the master, and still out of range.

This would also mean that a druid who is lagged or temporarily frozen would have a much better chance of surviving the incident if the pet is on Guard, as the pet would stay near the player and automatically defend him/her from attacks. Thus, after a lag or freeze, the player would have the chance to recover from the incident without severe consequences by feeding and healing the nearby pet and him/herself instead of finding him/herself a ghost whose pet is off somewhere chasing something and s/he will likely not be able to find, summon, or heal the pet before it is lost.

Heike/Irika/Mirrim

cf0d6ff356="Heike"

Or at least I know I'd (being a non-druid, I can't get into specifics :shock: ) prefer a difference between "Attack!" which is Slow (1 /2 the "attack" speed), and Guard! which is (pretty, once the engagement pause occurs, which is often longer-than that of one holding a bow to begin engaging) Fast, only to accomplish Exactly the same thing (unlike say Heel!, Stay!, and Move!; though I do know Move! After being the opposite to Heel! becomes-Heel!, too).

And my only "beef" (raw steak?) with auto-stabling is that the master can really Magically-stable their Pet. I mean, I'm talking open Magic, here: akin to making a bank deposit and then picking it up at any other bank, and admitted to be such, there (not to mention the storage capacity :lol: ); but they don't even have to log, to do so i.e. it's akin to not-even having to click a down arrow (not click the "Log Out" option). It's handy that they can do it at anytime (if sorta against being I C, for similar reasons.. unless the excuse is their mana is low, post-Ghost of so-and-so, because they did an "auto-stable Pet via teleportation," spell, with of course rangers simply being "unique," somehow). But it seems that this option is already so-available, that's why no-one really "wants," it ( :roll: "Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got, 'til it's gone?..").

• Personally, I feel that our pets should turn to booze and cheap hookers when we die.

• I fully endorse the above post.

That is 2 old timer Druids that agree, this shall be the new method when the master dies.

• Personally, I feel that our pets should turn to booze and cheap hookers when we die.

234c2dd2e0="Isen"

Absolutely!

• Geeez ,

all of this commotion .

why does the master have to die ?

i missed that part .

:3

Moderator(s): Ariki, arikitest, Jinker