Forums

• Day 61 of the Fighting Moon, Year 440

Crazy forest!

I had barely stepped into the woods west of the path when strong signs of agitation manifested themselves in the shape of Giants, Poison Elementals, Hell Hounds, Brown Bears and silly Harpies. Running frantically in circles, my life literally entrusted to my feet, and striking the attackers when I could, I caught the glimpse of a Brigand. Oh, marvellous, now I am truly done! The guards thankfully attacked my most feared enemies, the Poison Elementals, leaving me free to cast fields of poison.

When the fury of the crowd that had been following me abated, I ventured further south west, only to face four scoundrels and their swords. I led them on a merry ride, turning around to poison their bodies again and again, until it was time for me to turn from prey into hunter.

Seeing so much blood and bodies scattered everywhere, Maelthne followed the signs of battle, accompanied by his Black Bear, until he found me. I explained the situation and asked him to wait in a safe place whilst I started a game of darting forth and back to attract no more than we could handle. When I finally approached their fires, I could see that the Brigands had protected their chosen spot with three Brackens, which I proceeded to destroy. Worried by my prolonged absence, Maelthne left his strategic fighting position and came forward. We only found a stray Brigand in the woods - maybe he was gathering leaves and logs to keep the fires going, but we thought it best to relieve him of his tedious task. There must have been at least a dozen of the scoundrels in that camp! As for the dragon, well I covered that role on this occasion.

My niece Rosina reports that a few days later a Brigand confronted her south west of town, where gapers lurk, but she kept punching him on the face until her husband had killed his attackers and could turn his attention to this probably drunken rascal.

Brigands also attacked Rosina, Arduis de Gisp, Crom and Elpiis as they were leaving Andris cemetery just a few days ago - they sure picked the wrong victims!

• Day One Forty-Two of the Fightin' Moon,

I be mindin' me own business in Lerilin when suddenly me felt sea sick worse than any scurvy dog I known. I pass through the darkness and when there be light, I be on the beaches of Andris... In a cage! I look around and two more landlubbers show up beside me, Skaggz and Mustafaa.

We waited. We waited. We waited. Until finally! Zara, Hacton, Suscane, Beyoglu, and Sixtus came to break us loose! They fought through the small group of Brigands and then the Brigand Mage came to fight.

The Mage came and we fought long and hard at sea and at land as Mage and as Bone Mage until, finally, he be restin' where the word babbling spark flying landlubber deserve to be, buried in the sand.

• Day 152 of the Red Moon, Year 441, Andris

The feeble light of dawn had begun its task of dispersing the veil of night, and found myself, Fixx and Black Bear Du-Mawr walking along the beach south west of Andris, the infamous spot where Gapers, Giants, Brackens and Snakes lurk.  Some dark shadows detached themselves from trees and advanced towards us - four Brigands! My poison and the mighty claws of Fixx's companion made sure that the impudent rascals never saw the sun rise! Soon the waves erased the foul footprints they had left on the sand.

• Day 46 of the Red Moon. North-east of the Volcano. 

It had been a quiet sort of day, so when Beyoglu and Rivvyre proposed taking a trip to the Volcano area, I was more than eager to join the hunt. We made our way down the coast towards the Volcano, and the area was so quiet. Nothing but dogs, wolves and sheep. As we got to the volcano we ran into a few unlucky hell hounds, when I caught the scent of a campfire. That's when we ran into the first brigands. We quickly dispatched of them and followed their tracks further north to their camp. More brigands found themselves headless. We looted the camp and found a note about a rendez-vous at another camp, and quietly made our way there. There were tracks indicating a large group of brigands, and so we quietly made our way to the camp, killing off anything we encountered. When we came to the camp we ran into several nasty brigands and a Mage! Beyoglu quickly lured off most of the other brigands as Rivvyre and I set to destroying the Mage. With two rangers it was not a problem, and Rivvyre quickly held up  the Mages head in his hands! We celebrated, helped Beyoglu get rid of the remaining brigands and looted their shelter before we made our way back to Lerilin to split the goods.

• Mercenaries with captive Forest Dracos on Lerilin continent...

J'adore was very surprised on leaving the Bat/ Rat cave, south of Lerilin...  Two forest Dracos, just outside the entrance, set upon him with no warning. Alone and seeing small hope of defeating both in such a small space, he wisely retreated back into the cave.
    Reflecting... he had spoken with Siegal the Wizard, in Lerilin, before going to the Ant cave.  As Dracos are seldom found on Lerilin continent, there may be more, he thought. So... back thru the dark cave, to the entrance outside Leri town. On approaching Leri's Bank, Elpiis was sitting alone, mixing some potions...
    "Hmmm... this young Cleric might be up to the task" thought J'adore... A quick plan was made... J'adore led, retracing his path to the cave's Forest entrance.
    Preparing for the worst, Elpiis cast 'reflective armor' on them both, 'strength' on J'adore, 'elevate mind' on herself, then a moment to regain mana... "Ready" she whispered... The fighter listened at the entrance, then charged the closest Draco...
    with but a small amount of healing he defeated the two young Dragon Kind.
    It was then, they saw the human bodies lying close by, partially devoured... on closer look, these were Mercenaries, not town folk... the Glaives found on the Dracos confirmed this...
    J'adore spotted a piece of parchment... a small map to a camp east of the cave.
    Again, the Fighter led the way... seeing more bodies, they moved with care... a shelter was found... from there they could see the Walls of an Enclosure... three fires in the entryway, built to hold back the hoard of Dracos inside the walls...

What fools these Mercenaries were... trying to Tame the Dracos... or what ?? for what purpose ?? Tame them and move unseen thru the caves to the edge of Leri town... overwhelm the guards... loot the town ?
    They had lost their lives in someone's foolhardy plot... and Lerilin had inherited the left behinds, a score or more angry Dracos.

Using her messenger Bat, Elpiis sent a map to Thane's friend, Cleric Cey, requesting her help.
    When Cey arrived, the fires at the compound were burning low... We reckoned there was little time left... take a stand or escape !
    J'adore held his weapon high, "Shall we stand"... the two clerics cast 'elevate mind'... 'strength'... 'reflective armor'... quaffed mana potions...
    "Ready" they called, as one of the three fires flickered to embers...
    A young Draco was pushed by others into the opening... J'adore blocked his passage, dealing him blow after blow till the Co fell...
    then another, much larger, stepped over the dead one. Attacking with all its might... forcing a slight opening to one side... clerics still healing the fighter, jumped back from the beast's claws... possibly battle-hardened from the Mercenaries, it turned on Elpiis... she fell lifeless before its power...
    J'adore saw more Dracos pushing into the opening...
    the young Cleric, Cey, was doing well, considering this to be their "trial by fire", first battle !
    but not yet mastering resurrect... there was little chance to win as the odds were now.
    "Retreat" J'adore shouted to Cey...
    around the rocks and into the cave they went... a dozen COs at their heels...

Now in the silence of 'Gray World', Elpiis' spirit made its way to Samourai Freiheit Guild Hall... old friends from long ago...
    The magic essences of many priests and clerics of old, brought her a new body to live in the 'Blue world' again...
    Racing back to her mangled corpse... she gathered what she could before three Dracos spotted her... they were between her and her compatriots... no chance to help them for now... better to lure these beasts to the Sea... besides, her leathers, Robes, and magic charms had been taken by the raging Co's...  she left the Dracos at Sea's edge...
    Returning, she found J'adore had killed several of the beasts outside the cave entrance... but Cey had tragically been killed in the fray... he returned shortly... thru the power of Clerical magic.
    With the power of 3... they searched the Forest, bringing down those Dracos they found, including the three on the beach...
    but Elpiis' belongings were nowhere found... leading them to believe there were more Dracos hiding somewhere...
    the day was late with Armor and Weapons worn down; mayhaps if they had a Ranger to track, but there was none about...
    they decided to return to Lerilin for rest... but to alert the guards and any other person they saw, to the dangers lurking to the South...
    Arriving in Lerilin, weary from battle, the three friends bid fare well and went their ways...
    Elpiis found her close friend, Rivvyre; over a cup of tea, related the battle to him. Then, exhausted, fell asleep...

• Day 53 of the Waking Moon, Year of the Goddess 442

Maybe it was just fatigue after the long journey of the previous day, or maybe my concerns for the city I had served in my younger days, Marali, but I had experienced a dreadful night. I had dreamt I was imprisoned because I dared kill a snake and, so vivid had the vision been, that I decided to go and check the location with waking eyes. All was as it should be, thank the Goddess!

Still feeling restless, instead of returning to town I chose to take a little walk. My steps carried me further east, towards the new settlement, and I started gathering fangs, stingers and acidic glands. The strange dream must have really perturbed me, as somehow I got the feeling that the beasts of the wood were even more aggressive than usual. Maybe something had disturbed them?

Whilst absorbed in such considerations, the corner of my eye caught a metallic flash in the air. Abruptly turning my head in that direction, I saw the figure of a Brigand advancing towards me. I pinched my forearm to make sure I was not dreaming,  then my survival instincts kicked in and I struck my adversary. The scoundrel was not alone, as I counted four more heads. Dodging the Poison Beasts, I pursued his comrades until none was left alive, then proceeded to explore their camp. In the shelter they had hastily erected, I found a matter of assorted food but also, to my surprise, a black robe of resistance to magic. Sadly for Gawr, I was obliged to leave the lobster pies behind, as they would have been contaminated by the blood of the villains' heads still dripping in my satchel.

I am pretty sure it was just a bunch of drunkards, as they had conveniently set their camp very close to the Shipwright's Arms, in the outskirts of Morganstown. Maybe their brethren will one day learn that honest pints and Brigands do not mix!

• Day 191 of the Sleeping Moon, Year 442

A group of hunters with a mission to accomplish were ambushed on the road from Marali to Aborek, then again in the Aborek grounds, right under the very nose of Captain Grutern!

A far cry from the civilised and relaxed hunt in Marali territory which some Rebels recently experienced with their friend Renard, and which culminated in the druid's friendship with a fine specimen of a Tusker.

• Day 148 of the Red Moon, Year of the Goddess 444

I happened to spend a few days roaming about the Lerilin continent after paying a visit to my Guild Hall and, as one fine day I found myself in the proximity of Hermit Lake (north-north east of it I seem to recall), who do I see rushing towards me, brandishing a sword? A Brigand! I did not fancy a taste of cold sharp metal so I stood up (I had been kneeling looking for slime) and struck the scoundrel dead with my bolts. Upon inspection of the area, I could not find traces of his mates or a camp and, satisfied this was a lone Brigand (whether he was lonely too I was rude enough not to enquire), I resumed my travels.

Upon reading of the adventure of Elpiis, Kalt and Pakal, I wonder whether it was a fugitive I had met!

• We saw lotz of Brigends out by the Liz Ial. They were 20 in all. or moar. And a big scary Brigend Ledur in armur almost killt Stryker. Caitlyn heeled him and Jedd, and then no bodi died, tho. The lootz was not sick.

-Gasby

Moderator(s): arikitest