Once in a Blue Moon

The City of Andris is proud to present an exciting new resource for all Andrisians as we approach the 452 Senatorial Elections: a Pamphlet for the Informed Andrisian Voter! The city would also like to extend its appreciation to the Senatorial Election Committee and Senator Jan Varouf in particular for their efforts to bring about this Pamphlet, the first of its kind in our fair city’s enlightened history.

The Enlightened City of Andris is pleased to announce a very special and solemn occasion to commence at this year’s Festival of the Blue Moon, in the Year of the Goddess 452: the latest Andris Senatorial Elections!

The City of Andris would first like to extend its warmest wishes and most heartfelt gratitude to outgoing Senator Natis Fieltler, who will be retiring after serving her city for over two decades. We shall never forget her unwavering strength and unyielding determination, as she led the city through times of crisis and peace alike.

Furthermore, it is with hearts most heavy and sombre that the City of Andris chooses to formally reopen the seat which has been kept empty for the past eleven years, in memoriam our most esteemed Senior Senator Clarissa Morgans, who paid the ultimate price in the defense of our valiant city during the tragic events which befell the world those eleven years ago. We will bid farewell to our dear friend and mentor with nothing but the highest solemnities and honors.

In light of the aforementioned developments, the Citizens of Andris will be voting for two individuals to join the honored ranks of the Senate. A total of three eligible candidates have been approved by the Senatorial Election Committee. The Committee will also soon be releasing a Pamphlet for the Informed Andrisian Voter, in which each of the eligible candidates will provide a brief written summary of their platform and campaign – an exciting first for Andris.

On voting registration: Every citizen of Andris who is not part of another city's vanguard, even those citizens who are only citizens part-time, will be eligible to partake. The Committee will be sharing further logistical details as the Festival draws near.

(OOC Detail: Any player who is at the BMF during the time of the election will be allowed to cast one vote - provided that the player character casting the vote is not in another city's Vanguard.)

Comments

• edited June 24
    The City of Andris is proud to present an exciting new resource for all Andrisians as we approach the 452 Senatorial Elections: a Pamphlet for the Informed Andrisian Voter! The city would also like to extend its appreciation to the Senatorial Election Committee and Senator Jan Varouf in particular for their efforts to bring about this Pamphlet, the first of its kind in our fair city’s enlightened history.

So without further ado: here are your three candidates!

Ruthie Yvonne

Run, Ruthie!

Hey, peeps and good folk of Andris!
    I’m Ruthie Yvonne and I’m here to run! To run for the Senate, this time.

You may know me from the Andrisian newspapers, as I am a professional athlete. My dream is to run a marathon from Andris to the north, and for that I need a sponsor. So, if you want to see me run, feel free to drop me a line and I will give you the number of my bank account. Or just leave it with our dear bankers, and they’ll know how to reach me.

I think Andris should pay more attention to her athletes. I like running, swimming, throwing darts and dancing. If you like it too, you’re in good company. I want to make a race course around the city, expand the swimming pool around the keep, add a line of targets for darts next to the stables (hehehe, if those pesky pets misbehave, it’s two in one!) and keep the tavern open for longer, so that all can dance and party, at the end of a long day of training.

Vote for me! Run with Ruthie! Let’s all cheer and say:

Run, Ruthie, Run!

Edwin Rahleus

Hello Andris! My name is Edwin Rahleus. As a small merchant in the Enchantments business, it has been my great privilege to have met and befriended many of you over the course of the last few years. But now, our Fair City faces increasingly uncertain times. We have found the Senate to be lacking in strength, lacking in swiftness, and lacking in good old common sense.

Andris needs a nice dose of tough-minded practicality, and that’s exactly what I will bring to the table with the Rahleus Plan, in four simple yet effective action points!

1. Invest in education by building a new facility for the University of Andris.
    2. Beef up port security as a deterrent to recent acts of piracy.
    3. Break the link between lobbyists and senators.
    4. Ensure all new spending is offset by an equal increase in revenue. To that end: eliminate tax subsidies for oversized businesses, from W.W.W. to the mining companies.

In further detail:

1. I will lend a hand to the struggling University of Andris. As it stands, the University is too small and too poor. Located in the dusty basements of the Andris Keep, in a space shared with the Senate… the environment is not conducive to learning and the sharing of knowledge! I will make education a top priority by building the University a new, dedicated facility. A vote me is a vote for the UAM: The University of Andris - Morganstown!

2. I will work to increase defense spending to anticipate and defuse any more incidents such as the 451 Golden Fleece Massacre, or the 450 Ivory Poacher Affair, both of which have been connected to the vile privateer “Sailor James”.

3. I will spare no effort in putting a stop to the unjust and corrupting influence of the Big Three – The Bank of Andris, The Miner’s Union, and W.W.W – and I will put a stop to the poison which their leaders spread in our democracy. To break the link between the Senate and the Big Three, I will ban the giving of political gifts and meals to our lawmakers, and require greater disclosure and oversight for all “influence peddlers”.

4. I will ensure fiscal responsibility throughout all of the above measures. Too many of the city’s finite resources are being siphoned off to give breaks to the aforementioned Industries who do not need them, and who do not pay even a fraction of their fair share. I will put a stop to this, and use the increased revenue to help fund Points 1 and 2.

So, my fellow Andrisians: Stop the Bleeding, and Invest in Andris’s Future! Join me, and we’ll send a message to W.W.W., to the Big Bankers, and to the Mining Bosses - we will not stand idly by while they destroy our way of life! Join me, and we will bring tenacity! We will bring vitality! And we will bring a better future for us all!

Vote for Rahleus!

Norman (Halbim) Publius

To Andris, and all who call her thy home:

To be sure, one must listen twice as much as one doth speaks, for two ears we have, with only one mouth each.

Yet, the red crystal of this land, with strength to behold, bites ever its tongue, when the world it could mold.

Our city’s faced tyrants, fought murderers, deceivers,
    and once, long ago, we prevailed, though beleaguered.

Of late, we’ve been quiet, reflective, withdrawn.
    This city, its leaders, share wit nor its braun.

Across the known lands, those who slumbered now rise, those from the past, we now see with our own eyes.

The page has now turned, a new age has arrived,
    Choose now from a family who’s helped Andris thrive.

From the masses, I came, and like you, faced whats irksome,
    But from my late wife, Calindra, I would lead with Halbim’s wisdom.

I close, my dear neighbours, my city, my friends,
    Leaving a proverb, on which I believe Andris depends

A city, with blurred purpose, stumbles on until dead,
    But, take some steps backwards, it can leap forward, instead.

Humbly,
    Norman (Halbim) Publius